The Masters of Education (M.Ed) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Degrees are designed to advance the knowledge and pedagogic skills of education graduate s with the intent to realize the ideals of the University and higher education in Nigeria. The programme has the following objectives:
1. Develop intellectual and professional competencies necessary to serve in leadership positions in various fields of specialization in Education.
2. Develop research skills, and apply them in the solutions of problems in various disciplines of Education and industry.
3. Production of qualified teaching personnel for higher levels of education in Nigeria and beyond.
4. Production of high caliber administrative personnel’s for various job positions in Nigeria.
5. Develop intellectual and professional skills and competencies for planning, monitoring and evaluation of curriculum/Educational Programmes in Nigeria.
The department of Adult and Continuous Education of the College of Education (COED) of the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike offers programmes leading to the award of Degree of Masters of Education (M.Ed), and Degree of Doctor of Philosophy of Education (Ph.D) in the following areaAdult, and Continuing Education
1. Adult and continuing Education: Each Candidate is required to specialize in one of the following in major areas:
a. Administration of Adult Education
b. Community development
c. Social welfare
d. Industrial Education
e. Communication Arts in Adult Education
f. Extension and Distance Education
2. Curriculum Studies
Candidates for the Master’s Degree in Education must have one of the following:
(a) A good first degree honours in Education with a minimum o second class lower division.
(b) A good first degree honours in other disciplines with a minimum of 2nd class lower division plus Postgraduates Diploma in Education from a recognized University obtained at credit level.
(c) Third class honours degree in Education plus Post Graduate Diploma in Education at credit level.
(d) Evidence that they meet the matriculation requirements of the University of their Choice. Evidence of NYSC discharge certificate or exemption/exclusion certificate is required.